Jose Russo, MD
Dr. Jose Russo is a Senior Member at Fox Chase Cancer Center, director of both the Fox Chase Breast Cancer Research Laboratory and the NCI-NIEHS Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Center at FCCC. He is also Adjunct Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology at Thomas Jefferson College of Medicine, and Adjunct Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.Dr. Russo's Profile at Foxchase.org
As director of the Breast Cancer Laboratory, Dr. Russo devotes his full energies to basic and translational research. His interests have a broad base, but with a focused goal:
- to understand the mechanisms that control the susceptibility of the breast epithelium to undergo neoplastic transformation;
- to identify markers of susceptibility, and
- to develop strategies for breast cancer prevention.
Previously he served as Chairman of the Department of Pathology at Fox Chase Cancer Center. Prior to coming to Fox Chase in 1991, he was Chairman of the Department of Pathology at the Michigan Cancer Foundation in Detroit, Michigan.
Dr. Russo has authored more than 350 publications, including five books. He is Editor in Chief of The Journal of Women's Cancer; Associate Editor, Biocell; Associate Editor, International Journal of Oncology and Associate Editor, Revista de Senologia y Patologia Mamaria; and served as member of the Editorial Board of Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention (1995 to 1998).
In addition he has trained 50 Ph.D. and M.D. investigators in cancer research. For the last thirty years he has been an active member of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) peer review system and has served as a special reviewer for the American Cancer Society (ACS), the National Science Foundation, and the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Dr. Russo has received numerous awards for his original research in breast cancer from the American Cancer Society (ACS), National Cancer Institute (NCI) of the NIH, and the Department of Defense.
Additionally Dr. Russo served as Director of the DOD Breast Cancer Training Program at Fox Chase from July, 2000 to June, 2004.
He has been a member of the following organizations:
- The Board of Governors, International Association for Breast Cancer Research from 1987 to 1992;
- The Chemical Pathology Study Section, Division of Research Grants, NIH from 1990 to 1994;
- The American Association for Cancer Research, Minority Issues Committee from 1992 to 1994;
- The Program Committee of the American Association for Cancer Research from 1994-1995;
- and The National Toxicology Program from 1997-2000.
- Banco de Evaluadores of the Comision Interministerial de Ciencia y Tecnologia, Madrid, Spain, member since 1989;
- The International School of Senology, Montpellier, France, since 1996;
- and the National Cancer Institute Cooperative Breast Cancer Tissue Registry since 1993.
- Since 1996 he has been a member and Co-Chairperson of the Complementary, Collaborative, Coalition on Estrogen Carcinogenesis of The National Cancer Institute.
- Dr. Russo has served as an Honorary Consultant of Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones, Cientificas y Tecnicas, Argentina, since 1990.
- The College of American Pathologists, since 1982;
- International Academy of Pathology, since 1981;
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists since 1980;
- American Association for Cancer Research, since 1976;
- Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, since 1973;
- American Society for Cell Biology, since 1973;
- Society for the Study of Reproduction, since 1973;
- Electron Microscopy Society of America, since 1974;
- Tissue Culture Association, since 1975;
- Sociedad Latinoamericana de Microscopia Electronica - Founding Member, 1972;
- Sigma Xi since 1972; American Association for Advancement of Science, since 1972;
- Asociacion Latinoamericana de Ciencias Fisiologicas, since 1968;
- Wayne County Medical Society, since 1980;
- New York Academy of Science since 1979;
- Michigan Society of Pathology, since 1980;
- Biological Society of Cuyo, Secretary from 1967 to 1971 and Regular Member since 1964;
- Radiation Research Society, since 1995;
- Member of the Senologic Specialties Committee of the Senologic International Society, since September 2003.
- Elected Honorary Member of the Spanish Society of Senology and Mammary Pathology in May 1997;
- Member of the National Academy of Medicine, Argentina in June 1997;
- Honorary Member of the Portuguese Menopause Society in 2002;
- and Honorary Member of the Venezuelan Society of Senology in 2003.